Monday, April 30, 2012

Watercoloured Phone Box

My local stamp store shared the link to Art Impressions Stamps YouTube videos, and if you have not seen these, you are in for a treat. There are a dozen loaded so far. Start here. I have not done much painting, but with this technique I felt I might have some success.

This phone booth seemed fitting for the newest member of my staff, a transplanted Brit. It's his birthday this week and I wanted to make his card somewhat personal. The phone booth is from the Art Impressions Watercolor Series 6 stamp set (also features English cottages) and the shrubbery is from the Foliage Set. I stamped everything in Sepia Archival Ink on watercolour paper, and used Tombow, Marvy and Tim Holtz Distress Markers to "paint" them in. I cut the scene into an oval with a Spellbinder die, then affixed it to a sheet of white cardstock. I placed this into a Cuttlebug Lacey Labels embossing folder and ran that through the Cuttlebug to emboss. I like how the embossed flourishes travel around - in and out of - the oval.
I stamped the ticking stripes from the Waltzingmouse Heirloom Patterns set to form a background, and distressed the edges with the same Tumbled Glass distress ink. This was a different technique for me, one that requires much more practice, but for a very first effort, I am pleased to have a usable card to show for it!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

this is really lovely :) great work! Love the stripes and the frame too!

Pauline said...

What a fab card Charmaine, and I love this retro phone box too! It seems to be an icon for the UK, yet sadly, there are very few of these left around the country, all being replaced with plastic and glass metal cubes, nowhere near as pretty.

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Charmaine! Love the image and the WM stamped background!

Creative Tara said...

Very nice! I was admiring that image a while ago... haven't pulled out my AI watercolor for a while, but you've done a fab job with it!